Strong El Nino On the Horizon??

April 4th, 2014 at 3:26 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Water just below surface in Eastern Equatorial Pacific is becoming RECORD WARM.  This usually signals the development of a substantial to significant El Nino event.

El Nino winters are often mild & drier here, but wet & cooler in the southern U.S. with a greater potential of severe weather outbreaks, specifically in Florida & along the Gulf Coast.  California, the Desert Southwest & Texas can see well-above average rainfall.  The Pacific Northwest is normally drier & warmer.

El Nino springs are often warmer here, too.

It is possible that the 2014-15 fall-winter-spring could be much different than the 2013-14 fall-winter-spring (cold, wet & snowy since October).

We will see, but this sure points in that direction.  Changes are possible, but history has shown this signal to be the beginning.

31 Responses to “Strong El Nino On the Horizon??”

1. Jan says:

@Mother Nature, I promise I will not groan, gripe or complain when you provide us with a nice, sunny, mild day or two. As I tell my hubby, when you are the only one laughing its really not that funny. Please.

2. she hates us I see it now

Jan it will come Spring has just sprung. Good news on the Warmer than usual possible situation. Thanks Chad

4. ~Sher~ says:

Chad…

From your charts/lips to GOD’s ears :)

My prayers would deff be for a MILDER & LESS-SNOWY 2014-2015 Winter Season ;)

5. O No Moe says:

It sure seems that most of our high temperatures are being achieved during the overnight hours. Some years we have false springs but at least here there been no spring. Forest is bare, still no flowers peeking up, it’s just bare ground. The 7 day forecast has 2 days above normal, 1 normal and 4 below. 8 – 14 day forecast is much of the same, wet, windy and cold.

6. Jan says:

Guess I’m trying to rush spring. I have so much to clean up outside. I guess I should be happy that we don’t have snow with this wind this time.

Did anyone see the nests in Minnesota? They got some substantial snow.

7. ~Sher~ says:

Hi Jan…

About 1/2 hour ago I checked the Minnesota DNR nest and saw Mama feeding the 3 eaglets…:)

They were all snuggly in their “dry” nestbowl surrounded by snow on the outside..

Parents did a fantastic job of keeping the young’uns warm during the snowstorm..:)

Momma feeding the babies awesome. Love that site

9. Tom says:

Next winter will be mild be cause of a strong El Nino. I don’t think we will have a hot Summer. August will probably be cool and December will be very warm. Next winter we will probably see more snow in March than in January. That is usually the way it works out in El Nino winters.

Watched Liberty & Justice switch off yesterday on the Alcoa site. Liberty then fed the eaglet before nesting it. It was interesting watching her nudge and position the eaglet under her. She then pulled nesting around her filling in any gap where the cold air might enter. It’s amazing the natural instincts of wild life.

Also watching the Decorach eagles deal with the snow, wind, and cold.

Crappy day so I ventured to the mall for new sneakers. No biggie there, but left with a question. Who is Victoria and what is the secret?????

11. Jan says:

Bud, you sure do crack me up!!! Thanks

Now Bud, Were you shopping for your “new sneakers” at Victoria’s, ?? LOL.

13. ~Sher~ says:

I would also recommend checking out the 2 Osprey Nests Live Webcams in Montana..

Ozzie & Harriet have returned to Dunrovin Ranch this week and wasted no time “getting busy” if ya know what I mean ;)

That usually means Stan & Iris will be returning to Hellgate Canyon soon :)

Still amazes me how these Ospreys “mate for life”..then “migrate” separately to different locations for the Winter & then “return” to each other in the Spring..

*Love Is In The Air* :)

Teri, no but I thought about “sneaking” through the store to see what the secret might be:)

I believe eagles also mate for life. Watching the eagles nesting puts a real meaning to babysit. Also noticed the baby was getting fed sushi. Is there such a thing as a Japanese Eagle?

15. ~Sher~ says:

Speaking of Ospreys…here’s a very interesting & educational video about the “drama” at the Hellgate Canyon nest last Season:

Preface: Iris had returned and waited patiently for her mate Stan who was a no-show for almost a month before finally returning..

Many of us viewers thought that the worse had happened over the Winter and that he would not be back…of course another “male” Osprey started “courting” Iris..much to her discontent..but did “mate” with her which produced 1 egg..

Lo & behold who then returns home but hubby Stan who..brings a fish to his wife to say “Howdy..I’m Back Home Honey”..and as you will see in the video..claims back his wife & nest…

I’d never seen anything like it:

Hopefully this year there will be less “drama in the household” ;)

Sher, I’m obviously looking at the wrong sites for the Ospreys. The nest I found are empty.

My computer has parental controls on it so maybe that is why I can’t get Ozzie & Harriet.

17. Jan says:

Wow Sher, that was a great video. Thanks for sharing. I did not know about the osprey or their migration and mating habits. Very interesting.

18. ~Sher~ says:

Bud…don’t think parental controls would prevent you from viewing the 2 Osprey nests..

Ozzie & Harriett at Dunrovin Ranch are “on and off” the nest periodically..bringing in sticks, nest materials, etc..but many times this week I’ve seen BOTH of them on the nest..both were on about an hour ago..

Iris & Stan at Hellgate Canyon have NOT yet returned so that nest is still empty..for now..

Jan..glad you enjoyed the video :)

19. Jan says:

LOL Bud-again. I got it.

Sher. Awesome site you posted.

No bird activity here today. Hopefully tomorrow. With the sun out they will once again gather in my back yard. Grilling
    Hopefully this weekend cant wait. Go Spring

22. O No Moe says:

Jim, do the birds only grill when the sun’s out?

23. ~Sher~ says:

Comedy Double Billing= The Bud & O No Moe Show..

Coming to a city near you :)

Moe it’s a lot better to grill out when the suns out beautifull spring day with the birds signing in back yard. Perfect experience !

Singing in the back Yard I should say.

Moe the birds do seem to feast like heck on my feeders when the suns out. Lol

27. O No Moe says:

The birds here today were hanging on for dear life. Then to top off the day, a few snow flurries right before dusk. Yuck!

Yikes Moe that’s not good. Flakes ! Hopefully tomorrow a Spring Day. Have a Good night all.

Yes. Beautifull Spring Day. Warm get out and enjoy. Birds out in force singing this am. Wow. Cardinals. Sparrows Wood Peckers AC winter cover just came off. Winter is over. @mary Anne hope you are feeling better today. Enjoy today. Jim.

Beautifull Spring Day out there. The Birds are up and singing. Back yard covered with Cardinals Wow getting outside today ! Hope your feeling better Mary Anne. Jim

Pretty morning, a bit chilly and breezy though. Seeing the first buds on a couple of our trees, yay!