Gusty Winds to 41 mph…….Giant Flakes Earlier!

January 14th, 2014 at 6:39 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Gusts have been measured as high as 41 mph as of 6:30 p.m.

Scattered snow showers & flurries are pivoting back in with clipper.

Although places that received up to 0.6″ of snow have seen the slush melt away, be aware of slick spots from moisture freezing on roads.  Also additional light snow may dust & coat things in places with 1″ or less of accumulation.  Little over 1″ may occur in our far north by mid-morning Wednesday.

I received a lot of reports of BIG snowflakes today.  Autumn had a great write-up on the size of these.  I can atest!  They were huge!  Easily the size of half dollars!  Many reported even larger flakes!

Thank you everyone for your reports!

61 Responses to “Gusty Winds to 41 mph…….Giant Flakes Earlier!”

1. Cboots says:

Jim is not fine. He is a pathological liar. “Mike”

2. Cboots says:

“Be safe everyone”

Hi “jim”

3. Cboots says:

So, you are a joke “jim” and now everyone can see it. What did you gain by pretending you were 5 or 6 different people? There are a lot of nice people on this blog who welcomed you and yet you felt the need to manufacture drama. You are a fraud.

4. Cboots says:

Right “mike”?

5. Cboots says:

Mike?

6. Cboots says:

Add Mike to the list of “jim” delusions.

7. Cboots says:

So Mike suddenly jumps in to defend jim just like mad man used to. Hilarious.

8. Ken - Mulberry says:

I woke up a while ago from the wind noise and came down to see what’s going on with weather. I became intrigued to find 56 comments and of course thought perhaps there’s something actually important going on related to the weather to cause all these comments. What a shame. It’s really distasteful to see this behavior, which is borderline badgering, continue to drag out as if you all think the broader participants in this blog really care to read all of this nonsense.

Because Jim asked how to get the suet cakes to form together, I’m going to answer with my last post on this blog. I dearly enjoy backyard bird watching and if my answer helps anyone enjoy such a hobby then I’ll post it and I’m sure be accused of being a loyal stooge to the end. Wish all of you the best.

Here’s the way I make the suet cakes:
    1 1/2 cups lard,
    1 1/2 cups peanut butter
    Melt the lard and the peanut better together in a pot over low heat on the stove.

Remove from heat

Add:
    3 cups of cornmeal
    3 cups quick cooking oats
    miscellaneous ingredients such as raisins, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, normal birdseed mix, etc.

The mixture will be stiff and hard to stir, and you want to be sure not to over-do it on the extra ingredients or it may not form together very well. Start with a small (maybe half) batch to get an idea of the consistency you’re looking for. You still want it “runny” enough to have enough lard/peanut butter to form the cakes well. But you don’t want it “soupy”. If that makes sense.

I save the little plastic square tubs that commercial suet cakes come in, and fill those with this mixture. Cover with foil, and stick in the freezer until ready to use. You can also use muffin pans, miniature bread loaf pans, etc. Or form it into balls and wrap with plastic wrap and stick in the freezer to set up. I’ve had great luck with it.

That’s awesome Ken, thank you!

10. Hope you are still reading, Ken….great recipe!! I agree…let it go….