July 19th, 2013 at 10:48 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Timing with model solutions is off on this line of storms.  It is 10:45 p.m. & the line is sitting at Chicago & storms over the same locations & only very slowly shifting southeast. Winds have gusted to 69 mph at Aurora Municipal Airport near Chicago with gusts to 60 mph on the northside of Chicago & a gust to 55 at O’Hare.

That said, threw out the models (even the HRRR & NAM-HIRES Hi-Res models) & will just nowcast this line from here on out.

Broken line of storms will pass overnight-early Saturday morning after midnight.  I still cannot rule out a couple microbursts &/or some hail with brief torrential downpours (MUCAPE is still up to 4000 J/kg, meaning it is still very unstable with lots of energy available for some storms).  Any lingering showers/storms will exit by noon Saturday.

Since the line will be broken, not everyone will get the rain.

So, in hindsight, the trend for an late overnight-early morning line, which was originally forecasted, will probably come to fruition (until models began to bring it in sooner).

Regardless, it was a hot day with many of you seeing the hottest day so far this year.  Heat index peaked varied from 99 (Cass County Airport) to as high as 109 (Remington).  Here at WLFI, it peaked at 104, after a high temperature of 94.4 degrees.

As of 11 p.m., it was the hottest for such a time since early last August.

151114

13 Responses to “Nowcasting From Here On Out with Broken Line of Storms (Gust to 69 mph Just West of Chicago)”

1. Kinda looks like they are just sitting up there! I do see a warning on one but they dont seem to be moving a lot.

Looks like Lafayette could get a storm shorty, or is it going to miss us?

3. MC says:

heavy rain and lightning just now ending in WLaf west of Klondike. Virtually no wind!

It has been pouring in Lafayette, with thunder and lightning. So far just a good ole thunderstorm.

5. you are so lucky to get that rain. we only got .04 here. I see it on radar that you are getting nice rain!! skies are clear to my northwest.

ma in rem (too tired to use caps, I guess, LOL)

I just measured 0.20″ of rain, heavy rain didn’t last long. Grateful for what rain we did get.

7. Cliff says:

6 tenths here south of Rossville! whee!! needed it!

A disappointing .o6″ here. Hopefully most folks fared better with rain amounts. I hope drought doesn’t become the weather word of the day, but it’s not looking good for some.

Have a great weekend all.

9. Chuck says:

Received .52 inches of rain 4.5 miles NE of Frankfort in about 10 minutes. Very heavy cloud to ground lightening.

WOW Bud, surprised that you got only .06

11. Ken - Mulberry says:

.12 inches of rain south of Mulberry. good enough to settle the dust (too bad I mowed yesterday!).

Hi Teri. I was watching the radar as the front passed and there was a gap in the heavier rain in our area. We were in that gap. I assumed you got more as the heavier rains were east and west of our location. Typical summer thunderstorm. Some get dumped on and others get little.

I dunno how much we got but I will take whatever I can get! However…. I just got inside from harvesting 25 lbs of green beans and I seriously doubt the humidity has dropped. This year the gardens & crops are crazy prolific.. & last week was just too hot to go out in to harvest so I waited until today… It was not a pretty scene.. I swore at those green beans the whole time.