50s Next Friday…..60s (70 South) Near March 12

March 1st, 2013 at 12:45 am by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

It still looks like a surge of spring is coming soon.  Though it still looks raw to March 8, warmer weather will arrive next Friday with highs in the 50s & eventually 60s to even 70 will move in.

I can already hear the American robins, mourning doves, red-winged blackbirds, song sparrows, eastern meadowlarks, cardinals, western chorus frogs & spring peepers………..with the aroma of fresh soil in the air………ahhhhhh some spring.

Nothing is better than hearing distant thunder & listening to the red-winged blackbirds, robins & spring peepers on a warm spring evening.  Brings back so many memories as a kid.  However, I would have to say my favorite kind of weather is distant lightning at night with the corn rustling with stifling 80s with dew points in the mid 70s with the crickets, katydids & all of that night-time insect fauna in loud song.  I like the distant sounds of whip-poor-wills & chuck-wills-widows in the woods.

Chuck-wills-widow (calls at night, rests during the day)

Whip-poor-will (calls at night, rests during the day)

The early spring songsters:

American Robin:

Mourning Dove:

Red-winged Blackbird:

Song Sparrow:

Northern Cardinal:

Eastern Meadowlark:

Western Chorus Frog:

Spring Peeper:

38 Responses to “50s Next Friday…..60s (70 South) Near March 12”

1. renee says:

Iam excited…i want some warmth lol

2. ~Sher~ says:

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

It’s spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you’ve got it, you want – oh, you don’t quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

The year’s at the spring
    And day’s at the morn;
    Morning’s at seven;
    The hillside’s dew-pearled;
    The lark’s on the wing;
    The snail’s on the thorn;
    God’s in His heaven -
    All’s right with the world!
    ~Robert Browning

Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world. ~Virgil A. Kraft

The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month. ~Henry Van Dyke

What a nice change, to check the forecast for the day and read about spring:) Ahh! Happy March 1st!

4. Lisa says:

Agreed.Hoping for some nice gentle rains for our farmers and gardeners and those whose wells could use a little more water. Additionally, hoping for a calm spring with no violent weather to endanger life or property. Bring on spring!

!

5. Ken says:

Ahhh, yes! I’ve heard the red-wing blackbirds, too!

6. Craig says:

You just made my Friday Chad! Thanks! :-)

I am smiling as I read through the post and comments that follow :-) I am noticing more birds chirping and “talking” if you will. have not heard the RW blackbirds yet. It won’t be long, it won’t be long.

8. JEM says:

Was doing some pruning on my fruit trees a few weeks ago and the budding on them was excellent. If we can just not get three weeks of real warm weather we have an excellent chance to have some nice fruit.

I am excited for the spring growing – I have new gardens to establish – if I can’t have snow – bring on the spring.

Don’t forget Grilling out.

Looks like snow next mon tues WC has us getting snow Mon and Tuesday

11. Duane C says:

Morning giy on wlfi said possibly 3 inches Jim.

So grilling held off until next weekend. If I may can some of you blog some good grilling recipes here. Need some new ones thanks. Moe

Kentland 30 degrees Light Snow Chad have a dusting at 7am

14. Tamm says:

Happy St.David’s day for Welsh friends

15. Crista says:

I saw Robins in my front yard…and they don’t stay all Winter at our house. The picture Chad verbally painted is giving me hope. I really had a bad case of SADD this Winter. I am DONE with Winter!! Actually, today is the first day of Meteorological Spring!

Duane thx thats Chads guy Chad is probably updating to that then soon since its Wlfi

17. charlene says:

Jim…did you see my post about me living in Pompano as well? Recipe.here is one…sliced sweet potatoes on the grill..slice your fresh sweet potatoes 1/2 inch thick lengthwise…place on nonstick aluminum foil…and rub with butter and cinnamon if you like…cook until done..yoi can place them in the microwave or oven to cut diwn your grilling time..they are delicious! I am still not feeling better yet..didn’t eat anything yesterday and only drank gingerale all day. We have a lihht drizzling rain here today..glad i am staying in. Have a great weekend everyone ;)

Charlene what’s up no I didn’t see I was to busy with rich and rb bad mounting you I’m sorry. Where abouts. Lived of of Sample rd for 10 years 76-86

Charlene feel better great recipe. Gather the Stoogies for a curly shuffle we aren’t done with winter yet. Chad last update said a inch or less next mon tue. I’m hearing 3/4. And Wlfi said 3 inches this am per Duane. So look for the first time this year for chads totals to go up. Feel better. Moe

20. charlene says:

I lived on SE 10th Ave..right off Atlantic Blvd. My brother and I had a condo together there from 88-93..A dear friend of mine lived off sample road…Bill Clark..or William and Dorothy Clark. They lived there for years. I was the seafood manager at Sun Supermarket ;) small world …lol

21. charlene says:

Jim thank you! Yes…i am not letting go of Mr. Winter just yet…then after we get a good snow I will be happy to plant some flowers around here. When do we usually have our last freeze?

22. Rich says:

Charlene,I cant speak for rb,but I would like to apologize for “bad mounting”you.Jimmys words not mine.

23. Duane C says:

Charlene, I believe MAy 10th is usualy the safe date used for last freeze. Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Charlene where was sun off of Atlantic blvd

25. charlene says:

Rich..thank you..Duane..thank you..I am still stuck on Florida weather when it comes to planting and such in the midwest..maybe that’s why I like the snow so much..if it’s gonna be cold I want sniw …lol…Jim..Sun Supermarket was on A1A right next to the mall.

26. charlene says:

Rich..Jim didn’t bad mouth me :(

27. Cathy says:

HURRY SPRING I WANT TO RIDE MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Brian says:

Duane, the average last freeze date in Indiana tends to be around April 30th, while the freezes as late as June 1st have been recorded. This site has a fantastic amount of info on last freezes:

29. charlene says:

Brian…thank you..I am.kot good on knowing what flowers and such do good here either. I have rose bushes…in Florifa I had a lot of Hibiscus bushes..don’t know how well they do in Indiana. So I stick to annuals :(

Charlene, plant around Mother’s Day, that is what the Hoosiers say:)not always right though:)

31. charlene says:

Thanks Teri..my birthday is the end of April..I thought it was close to that time period..ain’t no wonder why everything i plant dies..lol.. ;)

From Victory Seeds:

Average First and Last Frost Dates
    for Indiana

City Spring Fall
    Evansville 4/23 10/12
    Ft. Wayne 5/15 9/25
    Gary 5/17 10/2
    Indianapolis 5/9 10/7
    Muncie 5/15 10/1
    Princeton 4/30 10/4
    Scottsburg 5/10 10/1

Also according to NOAA there is a 10% chance of a 32* day after May 15th in Tippecanoe County.

Like Duane I’ve always used May 10th as my last freeze day.

And Bud Mothers Day is May 12th:)

Yes it is Teri. A very special day.

“Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.”

Unknown

Beautiful and so true!

My Lilacs are usually in full bloom for Mothers day, my favorite!

38. charlene says:

Mother’s Day is not always on the same date…my brother passed away on Mother’s Day…May 10 th..colorectal cancer..he was only 45 years old. :( …so…I will always plant on May 10th now..in loving memory of my deat brother David….thanks for the info everyone ;)