Update

February 26th, 2013 at 1:17 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

I measured 0.1″ of sleet & 0.1″ of ice accretion at WLFI.  It is now 34.0 with light rain with all of that ice falling from the trees with continued gusts to 31 mph as peak gust at the station to 40 mph this morning.  Purdue Airport gusted to 40 mph.  I also measured 0.84″ of total melted precipitation just today.

I have had reports of less than 0.5″ of sleet, snow & ice accretion total today.  I just received a report at 1:55 p.m. of snow at Kentland from Jim.  He is reporting 0.6″ of ice & snow there.

Wind gusts of generally 35-40 mph, combined with 0.1″ ice accretion have brought down some tree branches & a few power outages have been reported, as a result.

The heaviest mix/rainfall has shifted north, so expected periodic rain today, changing to snow with time by evening-tonight.  It will still be windy at times.  Periodic snow will be with us tonight, tomorrow & tomorrow night with a tapering to scattered flurries & snow showers by Thursday.  These will linger into Friday, perhaps even Saturday.  Highs will bein the 30s with lows in the 20s.

A total of 1-3″ of snowfall is likely by Thursday with our far north seeing 3-5″.

23 Responses to “Update”

A lot like a summer rain Chad. Big variance in rain totals within a few miles.

Hi Chad! .75 inch liquid has fallen into the gauge. Trees are icing over up here along with power lines. Rain seems to have stopped, radar is showing heavy blue to my north.

Chad flurries in Kentland. You still I’m the same time time frame for change over.

Ya know they might as well leave that 1 to 3 graph on,here PERMANTLY!!!!never changes dammitt!!!!

Jim what is your temp??

Temp here is rain, lol

lol mad man…I hear ya!

8. Duane C says:

Hey Mad are you in Monticello? The diferences in postings from people has me all confused. I am seeing nothing but rain here in Lafayette…I can’t believe Rossive and areas so close are having ice on trees etc. I don’t want that to sound like I dont believe the people reprting, I do. I just don’t understand why all around us but never here my man.

9. A.BELL - Benton says:

Hazardous Weather Outlook
    HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK…UPDATED
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
    1058 AM CST TUE FEB 26 2013

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-
    271700-
    WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE ILLINOIS-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-
    DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-
    IROQUOIS-FORD-LAKE INDIANA-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-
    1058 AM CST TUE FEB 26 2013 /1158 AM EST TUE FEB 26 2013/

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS…
    NORTHEAST ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA.

.DAY ONE…THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

A MIX OF WET SNOW AND SLEET WILL TRANSITION TO MAINLY AN ALL WET
    SNOW ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND FAR NORTHWEST
    INDIANA GENERALLY TO THE NORTH OF A LINE FROM PONTIAC TO GARY.
    SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS PARTS OF
    NORTHERN ILLINOIS. IN ADDITION…GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS UP TO 40
    MPH WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF WET SNOW AND WILL
    PRODUCE LOW VISIBILITY. ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES IS EXPECTED
    ACROSS A LARGE PART OF THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY AREA BY THE
    TIME SNOW TAPERS OFF LATE THIS EVENING.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN…WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

PERIODS OF LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY AND
    WEDNESDAY NIGHT…AND MAY PRODUCE ADDITIONAL MINOR ACCUMULATIONS.

OCCASIONAL LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS MAY AFFECT PARTS OF NORTHEAST
    ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA NEAR LAKE MICHIGAN THROUGH
    SATURDAY WITH SOME MINOR ACCUMULATION ALSO POSSIBLE.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT…

SPOTTER ACTIVATION WILL NOT BE NECESSARY THROUGH TONIGHT.

&&

COMPLETE FORECAST INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE NWS CHICAGO
    WEBPAGE: WEATHER.GOV/CHICAGO

$$

——————————————————————————–

We Love ya Chad But I hope the 1-3″ is wrong & We get the 3-6″… Every one Be safe out there today & tonight!!!

10. Mike says:

Duane C.,

It is raining in Lafayette, but there is still ice on the trees. Just because there is ice on the trees doesn’t mean it can’t be raining.
    We had plenty of ice here in Tippy this morning you act like we got nothing.

Madman lol.

Mary Ann temp 34

Hey Bud what’s up at your location ?

14. Duane C says:

Mike, why you busting my chops. I am lookin out the window and have been all day. I’m just saying we have had almost all rain and areas close to us have had different types of precip. I just don’t see any ice on anything right now. I understand what freezing rain is. I’m a novice but an educated one. I am not seeing anything frozen where i am.

Duane i am in no snow monticello, thats our,new nick name here, iam sorry folks but i am about to cuss like a sailor on here if we dont get any snow around here soon, lol

16. Duane C says:

Let her blow mate….You have not been scolded for a few hours…lol

17. A.BELL - Benton says:

I hear ya Mad Man!! I’m in Benton Co & Yday someone made a comment about a kid saying the Windmills are blowing the snow away. I think he was correct!! :(
    Keep doing the Snow Dance!!!

Skies have lightened up here, still holding at 33* and rain is up to .78 inch. Ice seems to be melting and streets look better. Phew…now we wait for snow.

MA in REMington

19. Dawn says:

I can confirm that Rossville had ice on trees and power lines this morning and early this afternoon. Most of the ice has melted now.

20. Brad says:

Duane, are you in Tippecanoe County. Are you in Lafayette?

I have a lot of ice on the grass & trees here, but it is melting fast.

Lol Duane , i know right, i just am at loss for on how every single freakin time we get shafted, this must be the worst place in the US for snow

Big snow flakes now falling Kentland.

Snow in Kentland