February 6th, 2013 at 9:58 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Temperatures have tanked into the 20s in our eastern, southern & southeastern counties, but readings are already leveling off in our northwestern & western counties.  Thick overcast is overspreading the area from west & northwest to east & southeast with east-southeast winds turning to the southeast & picking up.

All this said, think our northern & western counties have bottomed out for the night & will hold steady, if not rise some.  As for east & southeast, readings may fall a couple degrees, then level off before they begin to slowly rise.

A strong clipper to the north will dump over a foot of snow in Michigan, while its cold front  & strengthening storm system near the Gulf Coast will bring us a wave of scattered showers Thursday afternoon-evening (wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple isolated rain showers/sleet showers in Newton & Jasper counties tomorrow morning that briefly skim by though).  0.13 to 0.25″ of rainfall is likely with this system in our viewing area.  Highs will run from the upper 30s to mid 40s.

Friday & Saturday look dry & partly cloudy with highs in the 30s & 40s.  Meanwhile, potentially historic Nor’Easter may dump 12″ of snowfall in the New York City area & 24″ in the Boston area.  Wind gusts of 60 mph are likely in this region.

Windy, rainy system with warmer air & perhaps even some thunder will pass Sunday-very early Monday morning.  0.50-1″ of rainfall is likely.

We need to watch a potential snow system originating in southern California & moving northeast from Texas next week.  After highs in the 30s Tuesday & Wednesday, it appears a band of accumulating snowfall in the area will be possible in the Wednesday night-Thursday time frame.  HOWEVER, this timing is subject to change.  I would just count on “near Valentine’s Day” right now before timing solidifies.

Although the potential exists for accumulating snow, depending on the track, it is not totally out of the question significant accumulating snow to occur, if this storm can track just right into our area.

It looks like a rather wet, gloppy snow with temperatures near 30-32, but Arctic air appears to roar in behind it with temperatures dropping to single digits to near zero for a few nights with a couple of Alberta Clippers thrown into the regime up to February 22.  These may bring minor accumulating snowfall after this potent snow potential.  Stay tuned for updates on ANY changes to this forecast.  Storm track & associated snowfall amounts &/or precip type may affect amounts here.

14 Responses to “Potentially Historic Nor’Easter……….New Info On Potential Snowfall Next Week & Snowfall Beyond Valentine’s Period”

Hey Larry Curley Shemp this sounds good! Moe

Chad the models for the northeaster are in agreement somewhat for them. What about the models for us our they in agreement for indiana for a snow next week ?

3. TomL says:

I AM NOT going to get excited for these potential future storms like I have been so far this so-called “winter”. I only get disappointed (and grumpy) when we end up with a dusting that doesn’t even cover the grass. I have to keep telling myself to stay calm, it’s NOT going to snow, it’s NOT going to snow. We’ve not had a good snow in years, and probably won’t for years to come.

True Tom. I’m waiting for Chads answer on the models.

5. Annie says:

Hey Chad! We are going to start pruning trees soon here at Annie’s Orchard. I was wondering when you think the near zero temperatures will end for the season.

One of my daughters lives in the Hartford, CT area, with other family near Boston, and is watching anxiously the arrival of that “nor’easter”!! She is stocking up on wine and snacks (tongue in cheek).

Can you imagine, and I know some of you would drool over this scenario, 60 mph winds with a couple feet of snow????

7. Duane C says:

Sure, rub it in Mary Anne..lol. We will probably get 1 to 2 inches, not one to two feet. Our winds will be 6 mph and not 60…..

Hey Chad says it could because good one lets wait and see ?

9. Duane C says:

The ground moisture question intrigues me a little. I’m just guessing here. I would think that good ground moisture at the surface would cause the air to saturate…forcing storms that develop to be more surfaced based. They would then condensate and lower faster. This could give any potential storm a better chance of releasing all its dynamics (precip, winds, etc). Just a guess. I can’t wait to get Chads ansewer.

We can’t either.

11. Cantore says:

Like I’ve said for the past couple of winters with these forecasts that are a week out or even longer. I will believe it, when I see it!

No pruning yet the big one isn’t here yet!

13. charlene says:

Oh my…oh my…snow…PLEASE ;)

Have to wAit for chads update for next week