Flurries/Snow Showers & Wind

January 30th, 2013 at 10:06 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Gusty winds & flurries & snow showers are pivoting through area.  Trace of snow here at WLFI, but roads are rather slick due to some freezing drizzle prior & now a thin film of snow.

Most of the snow amounts have been a trace, but 0.1″-0.3″ amounts are found in White, Fulton, as well as Newton & Jasper counties.  Your ground may be whitened by additional wind-driven snow showers/flurries overnight to tomorrow.

Winds have gusted as high as 43 mph in the viewing area over the past couple of hours.

Below are Doppler estimates of snowfall as of 9:30 p.m.

17 Responses to “Flurries/Snow Showers & Wind”

Ground is white in monticello 1/2 inch.

Trace of snow here…wind remains strong…temp is 29.4 degrees.

3. Chris in Tipton says:

Light Coating—or—-a Heavy Dusting of snow here…..winds continue…… What do you think about Saturday??? Maybe a little more to this snow system??

Trace of snow on the ground here in Remington this morning.

Hi all. Nws Chucago is saying several inches fri into sat. Mad man. Smile you got a half of inch. Where’s monster still shoveling. Have fun

6. Chelsea says:

Just found this earlier, thought it would be the perfect place to share such!

WINTER WEATHER LORE:

If the woolly worm’s head is more black than colored, the coldest part of the winter will come in the first months of winter.

If animals have an especially thick coat of fur, expect a cold winter
    When squirrels bury their nuts early, it will be a hard winter.

If you hear an owl hoot in the daytime, a storm is approaching.
    When clouds look like rocks and towers, the earth will be refreshed by showers.

When clouds look like chicken scratches or mare’s tails it will soon rain.

High clouds indicate fine weather will prevail; lower clouds mean rain.

Smoke that curls downward and lingers means a nearing storm.

Roosting birds indicate a storm, because thinning air is harder to fly in.

If the rooster goes crowing to bed, he’ll certainly rise with a watery head.

A warm November is the sign of a bad winter.

If fruit trees bloom in the fall, the weather will be severe the following winter.

If the first snow falls on unfrozen ground, expect a mild winter.

Snowing in Lafayette

Accuweather says all kinds snow by sat nite, but they always do that, and we dont anything, damn liars!!!

Mad Man. I’m sure Chad will update. I got. Call from NWS in Romeoville Ill. They want me to be a weather something for this area I lost the number again. So I asked Chad for it. If I get into this. I am going to supply Chad with any info I have. And along with his skills. And this info we can help the area and see what’s coming a lot better. The models are not helping Chad they are so up and down it’s not funny. Hopefully I can help. Snow wise who knows I am waiting to see what chad says I believe him more than them.

10. Duane C says:

It looks like the next snow is going to be a dud…maybe an inch if that. I say next snow like we have had one already…lol Maybe we will get some in February or March. December and January were a bust.

11. Maybelater says:

Indy says 1 to 2 inches of snow starting tomorrow night. We will have to see what Chad says.

Mad Man. Best guess. 2-4 fri sat. I’m editing for Chads update on this one.

13. Duane C says:

Jim where are you getting your data? I have looked ats everal models and info. I just don’t see it develeping anywhere near 2-4. Im not a weatheran:) I’ll wait for Chad’s update to.

Well we know theres snow up air sommers, lol

Gfs data Eta data. Wintercast.tripod.com. Model weather data. Check it out. Chad is the main info source. But these models do agree.

Man, this is really stinky weather today. Betcha anyone NOT believing is weather changes believes it now…