Update

January 23rd, 2013 at 10:31 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Clipper snow showers are largely gone, but impressive lake effect snow showers are gathering just north of the viewing area.  This will affect largely parts of Newton, Jasper, Pulaski & Fulton counties tonight.  Some of these snow showers may reach as far south as Lafayette.  These lake snow showers will be most pronounced in far northern Newton & Jasper counties where 2-3″ of total accumulations is possible between today’s snowfall & snowfall tonight.

Otherwise, the rest of the viewing area is looking at 1″ or less in places, total from what fell today & any sort of lake effect snow shower tonight.

2-4 hours of sustained winds at 15-20 mph with gusts to 32 mph are likely overnight, dropping wind chills to as low as -7.  Tomorrow looks breezy with winds becoming easterly at 10-20 mph.

NAM model which all sudden went to not a single flake for 24 hours in its runs, is now painting up to 1″ again.

All other models are the same.  Foreign ones are more aggressive with snow than U.S. ones.

I still like 3-6″ & will await more data.  If I need to trim this number, shift it, I will.  Again, I do not have enough data to pinpoint who would get 3″, who would get 3.5″ or 4″ or 5″.

One things for sure, a nasty ice storm will occur in the Appalachians from this storm & there will be accumulating snowfall here, just need to pinpoint how much & where.

Why I still prefer 3-6″ (at least for now as of 11:40 p.m. Wednesday night)………….

17 Responses to “Update”

1. Cantore says:

Hey Chad, I appreciate your hard work on this weather. I’m just hoping we get a good significant snow. I’m talking 6 inches. Come on, snow!

2. charlene says:

Waiting impatiently for the snow to FINALLY hit Lafayette this year…come on snow..my kiddos want to go sledding ;)

3. Joey says:

A big snow would be a joy. Snowmen and snowball fights…haven’t had any of that yet this year in Benton. Our kids need some good ol’ fashioned winter fun. Oh, I hope it gets here.

4. Monster says:

Chad do the models take in the 18:1 ratio or are they predicting less. Also are you still thinking high ratio?

5. Monster says:

Cool maps. Not sure I understand everything. I think you need to put on a weather class so we understand better. Im thinking next month at the station in your front confrance room.:).

6. charlene says:

Can someone please tell me the code for Tippecanoe County for my Midland NAOO alert system? For some reason it has not been working properly and I had it set for Tippecanoe and Clinton County. Thank you!

7. Keith says:

I have already resigned myself to the NAM or Canadian models….not because I don’t trust Chad, but apparently because I was bad in a former life and don’t deserve the snow.
    The NAM is particularly prophetic, since it shows a pocket of nothingness surrounded by snow. -That will be my house.

8. Maybelater says:

Thanks for showing us the models Chad, now we can see which weather forecast is using which model. I think you could be right on the money with this one.

Snows comin!!!!!!

10. Beth (Fowler) says:

It’s around 9:15 and Fowler jus had really big snow flakes falling rather quickly!

Charlene…call Radio Shack. They should have all the FIPS numbers for you. Do you have a book that came with your radio? This should also have a listing.

Just a dusting of snow here overnight and this morning. Looked like a snow globe for awhile. Chad…LOVE the maps!!!

9* above with the sun peeking through the clouds

12. Garrett (Fowler) says:

Chad, you are very thorough in your forecast, GREAT JOB!

Let it snow, let it snow!

13. Gretchen says:

I hope it snows for my friend Julie!

No Accumulation in newton or Benton county. Can’t wait to see chads next update

Mad man heard 2 inches max again.

16. Christy says:

interested in the updates coming soon from Chad. Also interested in what he has to say for Sunday into Monday. That sounds possibly interesting too!!

17. charlene says:

Mary Ann…thank you..Radio Shack is where I bought it at too. I have the book here somewhere…with all my husbands toys and gadgets I have a LOT of manuals…lol..just need to go through them all. Again..thank you