Watching Day After Christmas Closely

December 19th, 2012 at 11:08 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

We need to continue to monitor the day after Christmas for icy wintry mix & perhaps some snow.  This storm looks to originate in the northwest Gulf, then take an “Inside Runner” type track from Lake Charles, Louisiana to Memphis, Tennessee & then Lafayette, Indiana.  This is normally THE track for the heaviest snows in our area, but it appears this storm will track more on top of us, than to our east (at least right now), owing to subtropical ridging to our southeast helping to push it to the west & northwest.

This could change & mean more snow than icy mix, however.  I still like the wintry mix scenario more, as of right now & really don’t like a wide, broad changeover to rain in part of the area either, given the surface high to the north bleeding in a steady supply of cold, dry air.

However, it appears the mix may end as all snow for the area.

9 Responses to “Watching Day After Christmas Closely”

Recorded .85″ of rain at 7 this morning. Currently heavy rain, thunder & lightning. I’m glad were on the warm side of the front.

Bud

2. Kevin says:

Does anyone else getting body pains when the pressures or temps change drastically?

3. jks says:

I do and when the pressure drops I know it without looking at anything because my ears feeling there is a nail sticking in them. I just got replacement on knees and can in them to.

4. Ryan H says:

Nice rain this morning. Can’t wait for it to turn to ice this afternoon.

5. Tom says:

The record at West Lafayette for Dec. 20 is 1.29 inches set back in 1957. This is a pretty good rain. We didn’t have many thunderstorms during the Summer, so we are making up for it now.

BEAUTIFUL rain! Collected .78 inch. I agree, glad we are on the warm side. Not looking forward to the high winds at all. “bah humbub” LOL!!

MA in REM (giddy at the rainfall.)

7. Kevin says:

Winds are howling downtown Lafayette. Been holding at 44′ since 6am.

8. CHEBON says:

Chad, any update on Post Christmas Storm? Are models still holding same path?

9. Keith says:

Well over an inch on the southside overnight, disappointed it WASN’T all snow.

Crossing my fingers the 26Dec system gets the track it needs to drop it all as snow and lots of it.