Isaac Update

August 30th, 2012 at 10:06 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

Former hurricane/tropical storm tracks through/near our area since 1885 plotted on map below:

Only change to the forecast is for isolated t’showers/showers along I-74 tomorrow as the outermost bands of Isaac may pop some of these on that I-74 corridor.  Any one of these will tend to die off in the evening.  A couple more may move in that I-74 corridor Saturday morning, followed by a wave of showers/storms in the afternoon-evening where most/entire viewing area will be affected.

Overall, clouds will tend to increase from south to north through the day.

I went cooler at 90 in the far south to 96 in the northwest & 93 in Lafayette.

1-3″ rain still looks good for the viewing area for Saturday-Monday totals.  Still looks like best potential of an isolated 4″ amount would be Newton/Jasper.

With the wettest August since 1987 in parts of the viewing area, drought conditions have continued to improve.  Extreme to Exceptional Drought is no longer found in the viewing area.  Although Moderate to Severe Drought conditions are still found, we have seen nice downgrades to the drought over the past 3 weeks.

The remnants of Isaac will help even more.

10 Responses to “Isaac Update”

1. Cyndi says:

I hope we don’t underestimate this tropical low. I remember the damage Ike did to the state. Fortunately, the Lafayette area seemed to sit in the ‘eye’of the storm and we didn’t get the worst rains. But, the flooding north and south was terrible. This seems to have the potential to do the same thing. I wonder if we could get lucky twice? The drought will be fairly eliminated, but at this stage of the game, the farmers are looking more toward winter snow cover than autumn rains, I would think.

2. Shane says:

The noaa.gov website still shows us close to that 7″ mark.

So who will be right?

3. marty says:

Wondering why “Mary Ann in Remington” is the only weather watcher & her report(s) TV-18 is interested in? Especially Chad…

Oh Marty, I am so sorry you feel this way about me!! I’m just an old woman in Remington who loves weather, have all my life. I got acquainted with Chad when he first came here. Several of us got together at a downtown restaurant to meet Chad and each other!

I have a weather website that you, or anyone else, may visit and a lot of time Chad checks that. Have you been overlooked as far as reports go? Maybe a gentle nudge Chad’s way can get you the recognition you deserve. It is fun to hear your name on TV.

My website is maryannes.homeip.net feel free to visit anytime!

Sorry…”Mary Anne in Remington” (watching the first clouds of TD Isaac approach!)

Cyndi…I keep watching the storm move north! If it doesnt turn right, soon we are not going to get much rain. What else is new? No, we do not need a flood, nobody does. And yes it is harvest time, but we do need subsoil moisture for next year. I would think autumn rains would be more beneficial to the subsoil rather than snow. If the ground freezes BEFORE there is any moisture in it, the snow will melt and run off, not doing anyone any good.

Those of us around for decades know far too well, how fickle goddess Meteora can, and will be. Meteorologists do the best they can with data they have to work with. Be glad you don’t live in the Pacific Northwest. The annual weather forecast accuracy rate is never better than 45%. There are simply too many conflicting weather factors throughout that region.

7. Chad Evans says:

Hey Marty,

Mary Anne gives consistent, daily reports & has a 24-hour weather station she is kind enough to let us use. Autumn in Pine Village is another one I have mentioned who recently got a weather station & us kind enough to give us access.

I only hear from you when you one or twice a month, so it is just hard to say your name on-air when I rarely get data from you.

I would love to have you send weather data daily so I can make mention of you & if you get a weather station, we will use it on-air & mention you.

Let me know & I will grab that temp & rain data.

Thank you! :)

Chad

8. Chad Evans says:

Hey Marty,

All of our spotters give great information in flood, severe weather & snow events & I am truly indebted to them. To all of you that send your storm reports & pictures, thank you! From Jim & Doug, to Teri to Randy to Chuck to Ryan……& all the other spotters, I appreciate it!

Mary Anne gives consistent, daily reports & has a 24-hour weather station she is kind enough to let us use. Autumn in Pine Village is another one I have mentioned who recently got a weather station & is kind enough to give us access. Mary Anne is also one of the kindest, best people you could ever know & made me feel so welcome when I got here & had to adjust.

I only hear from you once or twice a month with a rainfall total, so it is just hard to say your name on-air when I rarely get data from you.

Let me know & I will grab that temp & rain data.

Thank you! :)

Chad

9. Cyndi says:

Yes, Mary Ann, you are right. Soil moisture anytime is a good thing. But, I particularly remember my cousin and other relatives a bit north of here being concerned about the snow pack. The snow insulates the ground and it isn’t always frozen before it falls. And, as it compacts, the moisture trickles down into the unfrozen soil and does wonders for the upcoming growing season….just as long as we don’t get a deluge of rain that melts the snow and causes too much water to sit on the fields. Then, everything is late. I love farms, but I don’t think I could deal with the fickleness of Mother Nature year after year. The stress would do me in.

And Cyndi I do agree with you as well :-) ANY moisture helps the soil. I think this year are going to sew grass seed on top of the snow, on the advice of a lawn guy. When the snow melts the seed will be there to germinate when the ground thaws and warms!