Right On the Edge of Historic Heat Wave In “Ring of Fire”

July 31st, 2012 at 2:42 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

We are right on the edge of that tremendous Plains heat wave in the “Ring of Fire”.  It is 91.8 at WLFI, but 97 at Perrysville & 96 at Veedersburg, 95 at Crawfordsville & 99 at Terre Haute.  Charleston, Illinois, northwest of Terre Haute, has 100 & Decatur, Illinois just hit 100.

Meanwhile, Peru has just 84 & Rensselaer 87.  Attica has 93.

It is currently 107 at Tulsa, Oklahoma, 108 at Chandler, Oklahoma & 104 at Oklahoma City.  Readings in Oklahoma will tie all-time record highs today (set in 1936).  Oklahoma City’s all-time record high of 113 will be in jeopardy not only today, but all week.

We had a few storms on the “Ring of Fire” this morning & a few more are likely today with just 20-25% coverage.  Given us being right on the edge of the boiling heat & all the dry air near the surface & at mid-levels with the impressive instability at those mid-levels, will go for isolated severe, mainly in that watch zone area.  Threat would be for an isolated microburst &/or a few large hailstones in a storm that would happen to pulse up.  Dry air will keep coverage low & not over that afformentioned 20-25%.

It reminds me of Desert Southwest/High Plains instability & the high-based storms that occur in the summer.  The altocumulus castellanus clouds show the high-based instability.

Image

8 Responses to “Right On the Edge of Historic Heat Wave In “Ring of Fire””

1. michelle says:

This summer sucks! WORST SUMMER EVER! Pasture is burnt up, cattle are starving, horse hay is horribly overpriced by the greedy vendors. Water supply is dwindling, the crops have failed . I want about 4 feet of snow. Please see what you can do about that !

We may have to do a pagan ritual sacrifice of a weatherman for that… :-)

I could have cried this morning watching the entire state (east to west) have a beautiful line of storms dropping south…well, make that southeast as I only got .09 rain from it while my friends just two-three miles east got .20. Everyone needs it. Cells are forming now…just to my south. I have seen this happen over and over and over this summer. Someday it will be my turn. we all need it!

MA in REM (temp at 87*)

4. Tom says:

Don’t worry Michelle! I think we will get a lot of rain and snow this winter. I don’t know about 4 feet of snow, but I think we might get about 3 feet of snow this winter. After the Summer drought of 1934 the Purdue Ag Farm had 5.09 inches of rain in Aug., 6.18 inches of rain in September and 4.88 inches in November. Then in Dec. 1934 17.5 inches of snow fell.`After the 1936 Summer drought, the Purdue Farm had 4.45 inches of rain in Aug. and 6.43 inches of rain in Sept., then on Nov. 2-3, 1936 4.07 inches of rain Fell and the Wabash rose 13.4 feet in 24 hrs. January 1937 was very wet in Indiana. After the Summer drought of 1901, the Purdue Farm had 4.78 inches of rain in Oct. 4.69 of that rain fell between October 8-16, 1901 and then 19.5 inches of snow fell in Jan. and Feb. 1902. Hang in there Michelle, the snow and rain and cold are coming.

5. CHelsea says:

So i’ve been watching the radar all day, and it seems like the storms either dissipate or go around Lafayette when they get here! Why is that?

Me too Mary Anne!

7. michelle says:

I sure hope Tom is right! We are looking at our cattle and trying to decide which ones to ship. With round bales at $100 each, we cant bankrupt the farm to keep them all. its just so sad as we have worked so hard to have good cows and good genetics . Some of my horse buddies are even going to euthanize their old horses as they can not sell them and cant afford $8 and higher for small bales. And the price of senior feed is around $15 to 20 per bag and will go higher with the crop failure. Its a terrible place to be right now from a farming view.

8. Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your web site by accident, and I am surprised why this twist of fate didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.