Signs of Spring……….60s by Wednesday

February 26th, 2012 at 11:20 pm by under Chad's WLFI Weather Blog

It was mild Sunday & Monday & Tuesday look mild to warm, but Wednesday looks downright warm with highs in the 60s.  This will force the American Elms & Silver maples in blossom & push the daffodils forward after being burned by recent cold.

Nonetheless, Sunday’s warmer, sunny day brought out the first of the early spring birds that I have seen.  They were active & in song.  This is one of the first signs of spring.  These species I observed (& heard & saw in song) today just at the house, working outside:

Red-winged Blackbirds usually return in late February & begin to congregate in flocks before dispersing & establishing their territories in spring.  I have always felt the Red-wings’ return & song was a sign of spring.

Heard my first decent number of Song Sparrows in the field behind the house today.  You start hearing them sing in the first warm days of late winter-early spring.

I heard & saw the first of the Killdeers back with several in the wet, marshy field behind the house.  They usually nest there on some of mud flats each spring.  Too bad they are going to build houses there, that marshy meadow is full of different bird species in the summer.

I saw the first substantial number of American robins today, including the first one I had heard in full song since last summer.

Had male & females Eastern Bluebirds on the fence today, which is a refreshing sign of spring.  I need to get nest boxes mounted!

Saw my first Common Grackle.  They usually return when the Red-winged Blackbirds return at the end of February.

9 Responses to “Signs of Spring……….60s by Wednesday”

1. jerry Oxley says:

Chad,

Technology has given you the ability to discdern subtle differences in temperature thoughout our viewing area and you show thes temperatures on your wether map during your forecasts. Nearly all of your viewers can read and you do not need to tell us of the temperatures in Winnimac, Wiliamsport, Rossville, Romney, and Crawfordsville as they apear on your map. If ther is a freeze line that is important that may be worth mentioning but whether it is 43 in Monticello, 41 in Morroco, and 44 in Willamsort need not be reported during your broadcast. Use the time sor something more important.

You are not alone in falling into this technoloty trap. Caris Wright Angela Buckman, and others do it as well. You could get a leg up be respectng your viewers ability to read and providing meaningful information instead or readingto them.

Otherwise you do a great job – keep up the good work.

A faithful viewer,

Jerry

2. ~Sher~ says:

Ahhhh…Signs & Songs Of SPRING…

Enjoyed all the videos of our “feathered friends”…

Thx for sharing Chad :)

3. Dana says:

Thanks for sharing these. I’ve had 3 Eastern Bluebirds roosting at night on my front porch in an old nest from last summer. They’ve been here since late January. Can’t complain about the mild winter we’ve had.

4. ML says:

Chad:

I noticed two large flocks of Red-Winged Blackbirds on my way to church!! I also had a Robin singing in my front yard.

ML

5. Maybelater says:

Great videos! The dog barking in the background was also a treat. LOL

6. PJ says:

Saw my first substantial gathering of Robins on way to work Saturday AM. Also heard 1st grackle Sunday AM at home. Tad chilly, but still great day to open all the windows and let the winter out of the house :) . Birds definitely full of song yesterday!

7. Cheryl in Brookfield Heights says:

With all due, respect, Jerry O., while you make a point in your statement that speaking the temperatures when they’re also visible on the graphics, you’re not taking into account the (I suspect) numerous viewers who may be catching Chad’s forecast while fixing supper, or just not plunked right in front of the TV. A lot of us (especially moms) are multitasing and listen more than they watch, especially at what is for many folks a busy time of day.
    And, in my individual case, while not totally blind, I am legally blind and rely much more on what I hear on any broadcast than what I can see (especially if I’m across the room from the TV).

8. Ron B says:

Thanks Cheryl, just what I was going to say, I’m not always in front of the tv during the broadcast, but I do listen. So dont change a thing Chad.

Jerry O get a life